Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Steampunk Nerf Weapon Tutorial


Steampunk weapons look so cool and with a little effort, you can easily make one for very cheap.

Instead of going to a store and buying a nerf gun, which can get super expensive, I scoured my local thrift stores and found one for 90 cents.  Perfect and under budget.
(Possibly not what I'd have grabbed first, but hey, $.90)
Once you have obtained a nerf gun that you don't mind steampunking, you'll want to sand off anything that you don't want to show, such as labels, names, or extra patterning.  You can use a dremel tool if you can one, but I just used heavy grit sand paper.
(Make sure it's relatively smooth)
Be sure that you have everything off that you want, otherwise it'll be too late.  After I spray painted mine I could see a few spots that it would have been better to do some extra sanding.  Now you're ready to spray paint!
(I also made a crossbow)
If you want multiple colors of spray paint on your weapon, you'll have to take the time to tape off any areas you don't want colored.  However, I wanted mine all the same color, so I just went crazy with the paint.  The picture above is not all that great because I was doing this in the rain.  Outside.  In the dark.  At 10pm.  The night before I wanted them finished.  I don't recommend doing that.  Get them done in the day and in the sun.  The paint doesn't dry as smoothly as it could when it's getting partially wet from rain.
After they are dry you can start adding fun stuff!  I used metallic sharpies to draw on designs in gold and bronze, and I glued a couple gears to each of the weapons.  Let everything dry and you're ready to take on the world!
(Simple, yet pretty)
(Love my crossbow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment