Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Black Widow Costume Tutorial


Black Widow!  A costume almost exactly like my Black Canary costume but different!  This one I made for the premiere of Avengers Age of Ultron and then for Phoenix Comicon.  After completing my Black Canary costume, this one went fairly slick.  I had it in the back of my mind to put up a tutorial partway through, so there are a few in progress shots.  Unlike my Canary costume, I made everything for this one, so it is a bit more time consuming.
I went for the long haired black widow like the picture below:
Scarlet Johansson as Black Widow.  I do not own this image.



Jacket
(If this looks familiar, that's because it is! I made the same thing twice.)
This basis of this jacket is nearly identical to my Black Canary jacket and uses the same pattern.  It's actually easier in the sense that there is no alteration on it.  I used the pattern shown below and made it as the pattern calls for.
(Seriously, favorite pattern ever)
Fabric: I tried really hard to get the same fabric that I used for my Canary costume, but since that was in October and suede cloth was in abundant supply and I was making this in April, I did not have any such luck.  I ended up using what I had left from my previous jacket and used another type of fabric for half the leaves and the collar.  I could only find a thinner, less quality fake leather this time. But it matched just fine.
Alterations: No alterations other than a zipper.  Instead of finishing the jacket like the pattern says with the braid or bars or whatever it is, just sew in a zipper.  The only other addition is the S.H.I.E.L.D. patch if you so desire.  In my search for reference pictures I did notice that Widow's costume changes with every movie.  So depending on which one you're going with you may need one, two, or no patches at all.  I went with one on the left shoulder.  Which interestingly enough does not show up in any of my pictures...
(I lost a small piece of it somewhere)
For the patch I bought a grey iron on patch and traced the design onto the back.  I ironed it onto a black circle I had cut to size and top stitched it onto the sleeve.  Boom. S.H.I.E.L.D. approved.

Pants
(Leggings actually..)
For this costume I actually made the pants.  And no additions or anything! I just used the best leathery/suede cloth stuff I could find and made leggings with the following pattern:
(Just the plain hello I am leggings pattern)

Accessories
Widow has few things on her person including her symbol belt, utility belt, and her bracelet guns.
(My guns still piece tied from Con)
The utility belt can be made however you want.  I took a strap material and measured around my waist and sewed on velcro.  Okay step one down.  For the pouches, decide how many you want and what size.  I just sewed up a few squares, put on some velcro again and sewed it to the "belt" I'd already made.
 (Doesn't really hold all that much...)
(If you're going to a con, I suggest making one credit card sized.)
For her guns I bought $1 squirt guns at Target and spray painted to my satisfaction.  Don't forget to tape off the orange tip!
(The other pieces I'll mention in another paragraph)
(Not too shabby)
For attaching the guns to the belt I made loops.  I had one right on my hip which I just made a small loop of the same belt material and sewed it on.
(Fits right in)
On the left side I made a strap to go around the thigh with velcro.  So much easier to get on that trying to slide it over your leg.  I made the strap to go around my thigh and attached it to a longer piece hanging off the belt itself.  Make sure you measure this length while you're wearing your Black Widow pants and not jeans.
(Shown from the back side, gun already attached)
From there the belt is ready!  Onto the next belt!
The second belt, because why not wear two, only serves the purpose of showing off the Black Widow symbol.
I made the symbol itself out of cardboard that I cut and then spray painted black.  The red is tape cut to size and the grey is duct tape that I stuck back on itself, cut to size, and then glued to the back. The belt itself is shiny black trim found at Joann's and then held together with velcro.
The gun bracelets I made out of party horns!  I bought a 10 pack and ripped the cardboard off.
(I think 10 maybe cost $2)
(The plastic is the part you want)
Not perfect but close enough to looking like bullets and so much cheaper and light weight.  Spray paint them black along with your guns.  See above picture.  Then I just hot glued them to straps of the same material as my utility belt, cut to the size of my wrist.
(Attach around your wrist with snaps or velcro)
(I just did 5 per bracelet)

Boots and Gloves
The easiest part again!  Grab a pair of black leather boots without a heel and fingerless gloves if you so desire.  I kind of forgot the first time.  

Wig
The dreaded wig.  As I'm blonde there was no way I could squeak by without doing some sort of wig or coloring.  The wig I got was originally for another costume, but was entirely the wrong color.  This one was yet again another $12 dollar find on amazon.  It looks okay, but is not the nicest to style and is not very high quality.  It's a bit of a cherry red and you might want to go with a more natural color. Also depending on which version of Widow you're going for a shorter wig might be in order.  I kept the wig long for the purpose of possibly recycling it into a different character.  Perhaps Poison Ivy one of these days.

All Done!
(Myself and Hawkeye)
(Perhaps a tad out of character...)
(On the Con floor)

No comments:

Post a Comment