Thursday, September 3, 2015

Star Trek Uniform Costume Tutorial

Hello there Trekkies! This costume is easy, easy, easy! And cheap!  At least the way I made it. Originally I made this for the Star Trek Into Darkness movie premiere and then recycled it for Phoenix Comicon that year.

Dress
(Doesn't look like much...)
I sort of "made" this.  I went to my local walmart.  I found the biggest, longest, men's t-shirt I could find in a blue athletic material.  That's most of the process.  Once you have the shirt you like, buy it. Then take it home.  Mostly done.  Put it on inside out and help a friend pin in the sides and sleeves so that it fits you like a dress.  Carefully take it off and sew up the sides.  If it is still super short, at a layer to the bottom of the dress with either your scraps or another shirt.  Now put it on and report to Mr. Spock.  Seriously, that's it.

Boots and Pin
The boots I used I already had.  Just plain black leather boots with a heel should do just fine.
The pin has a couple options.  Option 1: buy one of the cheap, but nice looking replica pins online. This is what I'll be doing next time I wear the costume, but the first time I wore it I waited until too soon before the movie to buy it and they were sold out.  So I went the next logical step which is option 2.  I made mine out of cardboard, tin foil, and a big safety pin.  Option 3 is to use shiny tape. Cut it out and slap it on your outfit.  See option 2 below.
(It's been through a lot...)
I cut the cardboard to the shape I wanted, carefully covered it in tinfoil and wrapped it around to the back where I sealed it up with hot glue and hot glued on the safety pin.
(Not as nice from the back)
After it dries, draw on the correct symbol for your costume in fine tip sharpie.

All Done! (Told you it was short)
(We look so official!)
(I actually only know Bones and Scotty. The girls found us.)
(Because I'm a Trekkie who loves her some Star Wars!)

No comments:

Post a Comment