Tuesday, September 8, 2015

A Word About the World of Steam

Steampunk is a ridiculously fun genre to get into, but also rather expensive due to all the little details and pieces.  Buying goggles or boots or a leather bag can add up to hundreds of dollars way too quickly.  Instead of dropping a few hundred every time I want to go in steampunk regalia, I keep my eyes open for little pieces all the time and I visit lots of thrift stores.  The above picture represents about $25-$30 dollars worth of junk that I picked up over.  On my budget, spending $30 dollars at once is a big decision, but spending $5 here, or $10 there hurts a lot less.  I'm forever going through antique stores or garage sales looking for a key, or a gear, or a pocket watch that I can add to something or make more interesting.  Especially watch for a pair of goggles.  Buying a cheap pair and fixing them up yourself will save you upwards of $60 if you don't want to buy an already finished pair.  The boots shown in my picture I found for $3.99 at goodwill.  The bag was another thrift shop find for $2.  Just plain right now, but I can fix them up with the multitude of crap I have picked up waiting for the next steampunk opportunity to arise.  Costume pieces such as a skirt or a corset are wonderful finds.  Check your local thrift store!

A few of my finished ideas
(Look for my nerf weapons tutorial)
(Very proud of the satchel additions)
(Different direction altogether)

No comments:

Post a Comment